Thursday, June 12, 2014

Turns out I was right after all ... if you can trust that Tea Party propaganda organ CNN

Is it a "Happy" dance or "Gloating" dance?
Not sure. But I sure like dancing. 
Yesterday, when I argued that Everytown for Gun Safety did serious damage to their cause by overstating the number of school shootings with their "74 school shootings since Newtown" campaign, I enraged a lot of people for having the audacity to present evidence that rocked their tidy little belief construct. 

Although the aim of my post was to highlight the dangers of overstating the facts in any PR campaign, I was vilified as a liar on the issue of gun violence. It got so personal, that I actually "unfriended" a Facebook acquaintance, something I have done only once before--and that was to distance myself from a nut job who posted racists rants about President Obama. 

Well, it turns out that I was right after all. CNN just ran a story in which they claimed the actual number of shootings represented on the “74 shootings” list is closer to 15. 

“CNN determined that 15 of the incidents Everytown included were situations similar to the violence in Oregon -- a minor or adult actively shooting inside or near a school. … Some of the other incidents on Everytown's list included personal arguments, accidents and alleged gang activities and drug deals.”

Now, some of you may think that I am highlighting the CNN story so I can gloat about being right. And you'd be ... absolutely correct.

But I am also posting the story because the lesson here is an important one: If you've got a compelling story with incredible, stunning facts--15 school shootings since Newtown--don't screw it up by exaggerating. You're standing there with a 1,500 pound marlin. Don't wreck the moment by telling us about the one that got away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment